Operating system for embedded AR and IoT devices. Implements the "Object Network" architecture.
- The Object Network implemented on mobile and embedded kit - specifically Cortex-M, ESP*, Cortex-A
- Declarative programming from the metal up
- A distributed, decentralised state-oriented operating system without processes or threads
- An operating system for AR and the IoT
- The first wearable, immersive, ubiquitous operating system
- A C port of NetMash
- An "experimental" operating system - which won't be ready for while yet...
- But initial releases as an app for Android will show all the essential ideas
What's the Object Network?
- See this techie intro
- TL;DR: objects observing objects including across hosts; declarative, decentralised programming
What do you mean, no processes or threads?
- Imperative/synchronous operating systems give explicit concurrency
- A Declarative/asynchronous operating system can achieve concurrency implicitly
Will Onex have a file system? Memory management?
- The Object Network manages data purely through interacting objects
- These objects form a global mesh/grid/web
What network technologies will you use?
- Peer-to-peer symmetric
- Sub-GHz radio, 'mesh'-style
- Hubs to link Sub-GHz to internet
How will it be programmed?
What user interfaces does Onex offer?
- Onex is 3D-first, with 2D for programming and for the UI of more limited devices
Where's the code?
There isn't any just yet - but here is the empty repo, with a nice README.
Which devices will be supported initially?
subscribe to my blog
follow me on Twitter.